Monday, 21 January 2013

Doing it Right


Various pieces of work lately have pulled me back into using the opensource stats package R.  Having for years been a heavy JMP user it’s a change. There’s a phenomenal breadth of packages and examples available on the web for R users which means that whatever I’m trying to do, help is usually only a few clicks away.  And there’s a philosophical point: by choosing to work in R I can just share a script, knowing that whoever I share it with be able to run it,  reproduce my work  and if needed critique it, and as a working scientist that matters.  R has a reputation for being a bit tough as a learning curve, but that’s proving interesting.  Being forced to think very hard about what I’m doing is improving the quality of what I do, which in turn brings me a paper that left me howling with laughter(in a good way). The incomparable Pete Kenny has brought out a perspective piece on the quality of analysis in many of the drug-likeness/property papers that have influenced medicinal chemistry thinking over the last two decades.   It’s a great read on why thinking hard before doing really pays off. Enjoy.

Inflation of correlation in the pursuit of drug-likeness Peter W. Kenny • Carlos A. Montanari 
J Comput Aided Mol Des